- Enforcement and execution of the Guwahati Master Plan
- Formulation and execution of schemes for the planned development of Guwahati Metropolitan Area
- Co-ordination and supervision of the execution of such plans and schemes with the object of securing proper living and sanitary conditions
- Conservation and promotion of the public health, safety and general welfare of the people living in the GMA
GMDA's jurisdiction extends over an area of 262 sq.km. covering the entire Guwhati Municipal Corporation area, entire North Guwahati Town Committee area and some revenue villages of Silasundari Ghopa Mouza, Pub Barsar Mouza, Dakhin Rani Mouza, Ramcharani Mouza, Beltola Mouza.
- Planning: Preparation of Master Plan and Zoning Regulation.
- Development: Preparation and execution of development schemes. To carry out or cause to be carried out such works as are contemplated in the Master Plan.
- Regulation and Control: To regulate and control the development though statutory plans and other measures.
- Co-ordination: To co-ordinate development activities of other public agencies operating within Guwahati Metropolitan Area.